Aug 4, 2014

Decalogue, part 3 (Deuteronomy 13:1-14:21)


Scripture: Deuteronomy 13:1-14:21 (especially Deut. 13:1-5)

We are moving through Moses' delivery of the Law to Israel just before they finally enter the promised land. Each section generally corresponds to one of the Ten Commandments, in order, and today we've come to the section related to #3:

You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.


Unfortunately, this translation, though used by the King James, English Standard, and New American Standard versions, leaves a lot to be desired. I chose to lead with it anyway, because there's a 99.9% chance it's the word choice you're familiar with. However, it's not one we ever use in any other context-- "taking a name in vain." 

Accordingly, I think we have an incredibly unsophisticated view of this commandment. If pressed, I think many people would say (or honestly, guess) that it means we shouldn't yell "Jesus Christ!" when we stub our toes. But did God really devote one of His ten most crucial instructions to preventing ancient Israelites from shouting "Yahweh!" when they tripped over their shepherds' staffs?

This is where I think the NIV translation really shines. It renders the commandment:

You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God.

The word 'misuse' gets right to the heart of this commandment. Using God's name, Scripture, truths, etc., can carry great authority and persuasive power. If I can convince you that God wants you to do X-Y-Z, you will very likely do those things. In other words, I can 'use' God's name to accomplish things. By following what He's revealed in the person of Jesus and His Word, I can 'use' His name to do the things He wants, like loving people, helping people know God, increasing justice and peace, etc.

Or, I can disregard what He has revealed about Himself and use His name to accomplish the things I want. This is a misuse of His name. If I pursue my own agenda-- inciting rebellion, consolidating political power, or amassing personal wealth-- in God's name, woe is me. I have broken the third commandment.

Now, as for how much Deuteronomy 13 has to do with this commandment, I'm not sure. I'd say the above passage covers a related topic-- using other gods' names in vain. 

In any case, I hope you're encouraged to take it very seriously when you use an argument about God to convince another person to do anything. Are you pursuing God's goals, or your own? Is it a use or misuse of God's name?

2 comments:

  1. You're brilliant, marry me. #check #doneanddone #imarriedabrilliantgodlyguy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Yahweh line brought a great visual to the mind's eye... right on point as usual. Great insights to reflect upon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete